Clinton's historic resources, including its structures, streetscapes, scenic views and natural landscapes, are key elements in our economic and social vitality. Our strong business center, flourishing tourism and appealing way of life are a direct result of individual efforts to preserve and protect those resources. Long-term, successful preservation of these resources requires careful planning, so that they may continue to play a vital role in our community. This requires a coordinated effort by all municipal organizations, and an open dialogue with neighboring municipalities, as well as county, state and federal agencies, to identify and protect resources before they are threatened. The Town of Clinton Historic Preservation Commission is dedicated to proactive interaction with the public to promote identification, protection and preservation of Clinton's historic resources.
Clinton's Historic Preservation Commission is a nine-member volunteer board of local residents, appointed by the mayor, which was established to promote the conservation of historic areas and the preservation of cultural, social and architectural history in the Town of Clinton. Created by ordinance in 1990, the Commission has the responsibility to:
- Prepare a survey of historic sites.
- Coordinate with the Planning Board as appropriate on historic sites.
- Work with individuals, groups and other political entities to further historic interests.
- Study the advisability of historic districts within the town.
- Carry out such other advisory, educational and informational functions as will promote historic preservation in Clinton.
- Establish a home for historic artifacts and provide leadership in the community for the collection, display, and enjoyment of historic memorabilia and events.
Our historic properties and the environment in which they exist are irreplaceable assets that contribute to the high quality of life that our residents and business owners enjoy and expect. The Historic Preservation Commission is working to protect these resources which are so much a part of our daily lives.